Thursday, November 1, 2012

Hi, I'm a nad. Can I have some candy please?

Well, Halloween is technically already over, but in my eyes, it isn't over until the sun rises. So on this night of wickedness and debauchery, I can't help reminiscing a bit about Beavis and Butt-Head's classic Halloween special, "Bungholio, Lord Of The Harvest", also known as "Butt-O-Ween". It's personal tradition that I sit down and watch it every Halloween, just to ensure that I get a dose of the show no matter how hectic my life may be.

While the whole Bungholio/Cornholio persona has been absolutely done to death by fans from the very start, I do still draw great amusement from the original episodes featuring this crazy alter-ego. The 1995 Halloween special is no exception here.

I can't tell you how badly I've always wanted to shout, "Trick or treat, son of a bitch!" and steal candy (and, optionally, TP) from trick-or-treaters. Even seventeen years on, that scene hasn't lost its ability to make me laugh.

The whole episode is incredibly well-done, eliciting laughs right from the start, as Butt-Head swipes candy from some trick-or-treaters thinking that they're passing out food samples. He subsequently gets his ass kicked by the kids' dad, who sarcastically tells them, "Happy Halloween!" before slamming their door shut. Even while writhing in agony on the floor, the duo still laughs immaturely about the word "ween".

What has always amazed me about this show is that no matter how controversial certain episodes were, and how many episodes were banned from airing, the show really didn't have a subpar episode after season 2.

I'm referring, of course, to the change around September of '93 wherein Beavis and Butt-Head's characters were refined more, and began to behave a bit differently. Butt-Head's personality shifted, and he became a bit less blatantly mean-spirited, and a little bit more dumb. Beavis remained just as stupid as before, but he also seemed to become a little bit less abrasive, expanding his ability to be placed in a variety of situations with hilarious results.

As the characters were refined, the episodes became more refined as well, and in my opinion, became much better than the episodes of the first couple of seasons.

This newer comedic style is in full force in Butt-O-Ween, and that's a big part of what makes it so great.

Yes, it's one of the more well-known episodes of the series, but I think that's for good reason.

Although Halloween is already over for most people, I'll momentarily be off to throw on this classic special to celebrate the occasion for just a little bit longer before November has a chance to settle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment